lördag 13 april 2024

Speech in Stockholm, 1560: Defense of his regiment

In 1560, a Riksdag convened at midsummer in Stockholm, where Gustav Vasa's will, in which he handed over power to his sons, was read out. But he also made a speech to persuade the estates to accept the will. There he looked back on his life and regiment - to a large extent it was a defense speech. The king's secretaries and councilors had certainly written the speech. But only a few fragments are preserved by Peder Svart and other 16th-century historians. During the 19th century, they were woven together with quotations from other sources.

By Gustav Vasa.

When they were assembled, the king entered accompanied by his sons. He ascended and sat on the throne. The three older sons stood one after the other on the left side: the youngest, ten-year-old Karl, at his father's feet. Then the king spoke as follows:

"I revere the power of God, which in me has raised Sweden's old royal family from Magnus Ladulås and Karl Knutsson back to Sweden's old throne. Those among you who have come of age have no doubt sensed how our dear fatherland used to be for many hundreds of years in great misery and oppression under foreign dominions and kings, especially under the unloved tyrant, King Christian, and how it was covered God through me deliver us from this tyranny. Therefore should we, high and low, master and servant, old and young, be the same divine help never forget.

For, what man was I, to expel such a powerful lord, who not only reigned over three kingdoms, but was also closely allied and favored with the emperor and the most powerful princes? I could not imagine this honor, when in the forest and desolate mountains I had to escape from the bloodthirsty sword of the enemies. But God carried on the work and made me his subordinate, on whom his omnipotence would be manifest; and may I be like David, whom God made from a humble shepherd into a king over all the people.«

At this, tears burst from his eyes.

"I thank you, faithful subjects, that you wanted to elevate me to royal highness, and to a progenitor in your royal house. I thank you no less for the loyalty and assistance you have shown me in my reign. That during this time God let his pure and clear word come in, and that he also in time has endowed the kingdom with all kinds of blessings, as it is now before our eyes, therefore we, good men and subjects, shall all with the greatest gratitude and humility give God the glory.

It is well known to me that in the minds of many I have been a harsh king. But the times will come when Sweden's children would want to tear me out of the mud, if it was in their power. However, I must not be ashamed to confess human weakness and frailty, because no one is perfect and without a hernia. Therefore, I ask you that, as faithful subjects, you will for Christ's sake forgive and overlook any shortcoming that has been with my government. The intention has always been for the good of the kingdom and its inhabitants. My gray hairs, my wrinkled forehead bear enough witness to the many dangers, indignities and cares I endured during my forty years' reign.

I know enough that the Swedes are quick to agree, slow to investigate. I can also predict that many stray spirits will arise in the future. Therefore I pray and admonish you: Hold fast to the word of God, and reject what does not agree with it. Let the government be in harmony, agree among themselves.

My time is almost up. I don't need stars or other divination for that. I feel signs in my own body that I shall soon go hence, and at the feet of the High King lay down and account for the glorious but perishable crown of the kingdom of Svea. Accompany me then with your faithful intercessions, and when I have closed my eyes, let my dust rest in peace."

At this he stretched out his hands, for the last time blessing his people. His gray hair, his drooping but yet majestic appearance, the tears that sometimes came to his eyes, his pleasant but now trembling voice from age and movement, and finally the thought that they would now forever lose this their father, teacher and benefactor , all this stirred the deepest movement in the whole congregation. Tears flowed from each eye and with difficulty they could prevent their sobs from drowning out the sound of the beloved's voice.

Gustav got up, and leaning on his two eldest sons he wandered out, turning his head every now and then, taking with nods and tearful eyes once more the last farewell. The congregation followed him closely; those who could not, however, followed his gray head with their eyes under tears and a thousand blessings.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Henricus Johannis Tornberg: Vicar of Koutokeino, Vicar of Ylitornio and Chaplain of Alatornio (1719)

Henricus Johannis Tornberg (born in Kautokeino, Norway, 1678), was the first vicar of Koutokeino. Prior to his vicariate, he served as the c...